Publications by Topic
Ecology of Near-Urban Protected Areas
- 2015. Davis, M, E. Cook, S. Collins, and S.J. Hall. Top-down vs. bottom-up regulation of herbaceous primary production and composition in an arid, urbanizing ecosystem. Journal of Arid Environments, 116; 103-114. doi:10.1016/j.jaridenv.2015.01.018.
- 2015. Marusenko, Y., F. Garcia-Pichel, and S.J. Hall. Ammonia-oxidizing archaea respond positively to inorganic N addition in desert soils. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 91(2):1-11.
- 2013. Marusenko, Y., D.P. Huber, and S.J. Hall. Fungi mediate nitrous oxide production but not ammonia oxidation in arid and semi-arid soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 63: 24-36.
- 2012. Sponseller, RA., S.J. Hall, D. Huber, N.B. Grimm, J.P. Kaye, C. Clark, and S. Collins. Variation in monsoon precipitation drives spatial and temporal patterns of Larrea tridentata growth in the Sonoran Desert. Functional Ecology , DOI 10.1111/j.1365-2435.2012.01979.x.
- 2011. Hall, S.J., R.A. Sponseller, N.B. Grimm, D. Huber, J.P. Kaye, C. Clark, and S. Collins. Ecosystem response to nutrient enrichment across an urban airshed in the Sonoran Desert. Ecological Applications, 21 (3): 640-660.
- 2011. Marusenko, Y., P. Herckes, and S.J. Hall. Distribution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soils of urban transportation corridors in an arid ecosystem. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 219 (1): 473-487. DOI 10.1007/s11270-010-0721-5.
- 2011. Kaye, J.P., S.E. Eckert, D.A. Gonzalez, J.O. Allen, S.J. Hall, R.A. Sponseller, and N.B. Grimm. Decomposition of urban atmospheric carbon in Sonoran Desert soils. Urban Ecosystems, DOI 10.1007/s11252-011-0173-8.
- 2009. Hall, S.J., B. Ahmed, P. Ortiz, R. Davies, R. Sponseller, and N.B. Grimm. Urbanization alters soil microbial functioning in the Sonoran Desert. Ecosystems, 12: 654–671, DOI: 10.1007/s10021-009-9249-1.
- 2008. Hall, S.J., D. Huber, and N.B. Grimm. Soil N2O and NOx emissions from an arid urban ecosystem. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, (113), G01016, doi:10.1029/2007JG000523.
- 2008. McCrackin, M.L., T.K. Harms, N.B. Grimm, S.J. Hall, J.P. Kaye. Responses of soil microorganisms to resource availability in urban desert soils, Biogeochemistry, (87) 2, 143-155.
Human-Environment Dynamics in Agricultural and Human-Dominated Landscapes
- 2018. K. Hooton, S. Giannakorous, W. Campbell, M.H. Friedman, J. Groeneveld, L. Steger, and S.J. Hall. Ozone Precursor, Particulate Matter, and PM Precursor Emissions from Composting Operations: A Literature Review and Estimates Report Prepared for the Maricopa County Air Quality Department. Rob and Melani Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiative, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
- 2018. W.D. Pearse, J. Cavender-Bares, S.E. Hobbie, M.L. Avolio, N. Bettez, R. Roy Chowdhury, L.E. Darling, P.M. Groffman, M. Grove, S.J. Hall, J.B. Heffernan, J. Learned, C. Neill, K.C. Nelson, D.E. Pataki, B.L. Ruddell, M.K. Steele, and T. Trammell. Homogenization of plant diversity, composition and structure in North American urban yards. Ecosphere,9(2).
- 2017. P.M. Groffman, M.Avolio, J. Cavender-Bares, N.D. Bettez, J.M. Grove, S.J. Hall, S.E. Hobbie, K.L. Larson, S.B. Lerman, *D. Locke, J. Heffernan, J.L. Morse, C. Neill, K. Nelson, J. O’Neil-Dunne, D. Pataki, C. Polsky, R.V. Pouyat, R. Roy Chowdhury, M. Steele and T. Trammell. Ecological homogenization of residential macrosystems. Nature Ecology and Evolution. DOI: 10.1038/s41559-017-0191 | www.nature.com/natecolevol
- 2017. M. Wheeler, C. Neill, P.M. Groffman, M. Avolio, N. Bettez, J. Cavender-Bares, R. Roy Chowdhury, L. Darling, J.M. Grove, S.J. Hall, J. B. Heffernan, S. E. Hobbie, K.L. Larson, J. L. Morse, K.C. Nelson, L. Ogden, J.P.M. O’Neil-Dunne, D.E. Pataki, C. Polsky, M. Steele, and T. Trammell. Continental-scale homogenization of residential lawn plant communities. Landscape and Urban Planning, 165: 54-63.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2017.05.004.
- 2017. A. Sullivan; A.M. York; D.D. White; S.J. Hall, and S.T. Yabiku. De jure versus de facto institutions: trust, information, and collective efforts to manage the invasive mile-a-minute weed (Mikania micrantha).
- 2017. A. Sullivan; A.M. York; L. An; S.T. Yabiku, and S.J. Hall. How does perception at multiple levels influence collective action in the commons? The case of Mikania micrantha in Chitwan, Nepal. Forest Policy and Economics, 80(2017): 1-10. doi: 10.1016/j.forpol.2017.03.001201.
- 2017. M.R. McHale, S.J. Hall, A. Majumdar, and N.B. Grimm. Carbon lost and carbon gained: A study of vegetation and carbon tradeoffs among diverse land uses in Phoenix, AZ. Ecological Applications, 27(2), 2017, pp. 644–661.
- 2016. H. Heavenrich and S.J. Hall. Elevated soil nitrogen pools after conversion of turfgrass to water-efficient residential landscapes. Environmental Research Letters, doi:10.1088/1748-9326/11/8/084007.
- 2016. P.M. Groffman et al. Satisfaction, water and fertilizer use in the American residential macrosystem. In press at Environmental Research Letters.
- 2016. T.L.E. Trammel et al. Plant nitrogen concentration and isotopic composition in residential lawns across seven U.S. cities Oecologia 181(1): 271-285. DOI 10.1007/s00442-016-3566-9.
- 2015. S.J. Hall, J. Learned, B. Ruddell, K.L. Larson J. Cavender-Bares, N. Bettez, P.M. Groffman, J.M. Grove, J. B. Heffernan, S. E. Hobbie, J. L. Morse, C. Neill, K.C. Nelson, J.P.M. O’Neil-Dunne, L. Ogden, D.E. Pataki, W.D. Pearse, C. Polsky, R. Roy Chowdhury, M. K. Steele, and T.L.E. Trammel. Convergence of microclimate in residential landscapes across diverse cities in the United States. Landscape Ecology, DOI: 10.1007/s10980-015-0297-y.
- 2015. Larson, K.L. et al. Ecosystem services in managing residential landscapes: Priorities, value dimensions, and cross-regional patterns. Urban Ecosystems, DOI 10.1007/s11252-015-0477-1.
- 2015. Hall, S.J. Soil and the Future of Food: Challenges and Opportunities for Feeding 9 Billion People. In The Soil Underfoot: Infinite Possibilities for a Finite Resource, CRC Press. G. Churchman and E. Landa (eds).
- 2015. Shuster, W.D., S.D. Dadio, C.E. Burkman, S.R. Earl, and S.J. Hall. Hydropedological assessments of parcel-level infiltration in an arid urban ecosystem. Soil Science Society of America Journal, doi:10.2136/sssaj2014.05.0200.
- 2015. Spielmann, K.A., S.J. Hall, M. Kruse-Peeples, D. Nakase, and J. Trujillo. Soil Texture and Agricultural Resilience in the Prehistoric Southwest: Farming on Perry Mesa, Arizona. In From Field to Table: Historical ecology of regional subsistence strategies. University of South Carolina Press.
- 2014. Polsky, C. et al. Assessing the homogenization of urban land management with an application to US residential lawn care. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(12): 4432-4437. doi/10.1073/pnas.1323995111
- 2014. Steele, M.K. et al. Convergent surface water distributions in U.S. cities. Ecosystems, February: 1-13. DOI: 10.1007/s10021-014-9751-y.
- 2014. Groffman, P.M., et al. Ecological homogenization of urban America. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 12(1): 74–81, doi:10.1890/120374.
- 2014. Nakase, D.K., A.S. Hartshorn, K.A. Spielmann, and S.J. Hall. Eolian deposition and soil fertility in a prehistoric agricultural complex in central Arizona. Geoarchaeology, 29: 79-97. doi 10.1002/gea.21463.
- 2013. Hall, S.J. J. Trujillo, D. Nakase, C. Strawhacker, M. Kruse-Peeples, H. Schaafsma, and J. Briggs. Legacies of prehistoric agricultural practices within plant and soil properties across an arid ecosystem. Ecosystems. doi 10.1007/s10021-013-9681-0.
- 2012. Boone, C., E. Cook, , S.J. Hall, N.B. Grimm, C. Raish D. Finch, M. Nation, and A. York. A comparative gradient approach to understanding and managing urban ecosystems. Urban Ecosystems, DOI 10.1007/s11252-012-0240-9.
- 2011. Spielmann, K.A., H. Schaafsma, J. Briggs, S.J. Hall, and M. Kruse. Legacies on the Landscape: The enduring effects of long-term human-ecosystem interactions. In: M. Nelson, (ed), Movement, Connectivity, and Landscape Change, Proceedings of the 2008 Southwest Symposium of Archaeology, Tempe, AZ. University Press of Colorado. 448 pp.
- 2011. Cook, E., S.J. Hall, and K. Larson. Residential landscapes in an urban socio-ecological context: Multi-scalar drivers and legacies of management practices, ecological structure, and ecosystem services. Urban Ecosystems, DOI 10.1007/s11252-011-0197-0.
- 2010. Larson, K.L., E. Cook, C. Strawhacker, and S.J. Hall. The influence of diverse values, ecological structure, and socio-spatial context on residents’ multifaceted land-management decisions. Human Ecology, DOI 10.1007/s10745-010-9359-6.
- 2010. Davies, R. and S.J. Hall. Direct and indirect effects of urbanization on soil and plant nutrients in desert ecosystems of the Phoenix metropolitan area. Urban Ecosystems, 13 (2). DOI: 10.1007/s11252-010-0120-0.
- 2009. Cook E., C. Boone, S.J. Hall, and M. Nation. Urban long-term research across a Southwest socio-ecological gradient. A White Paper prepared for the US Forest Service Southwest Research Station.
- 2008. Larson K.L., S.J. Hall, E. Cook, B. Funke, C. Strawhacker, and V. Turner. Social-ecological dynamics of residential landscapes: Human drivers of management practices and ecological structure in an urban ecosystem context. The Final Report from an Interdisciplinary Graduate Research and Education Training (IGERT) Workshop 52 pp., School of Sustainability, Arizona State University.
- 1996. Hall, S.J., P.A. Matson, and P.M. Roth. NOx Emissions from soil: Implications for air quality modeling in agricultural regions. Annual Review of Energy and the Environment, 21: 311-46.
- 1996. Matson, P.A., C. Billow, S.J. Hall, and J. Zachariassen. Fertilization practices and soil variations control nitrogen oxide emissions from tropical sugar cane. Journal of Geophysical Research, (101) D13: 18,533-45.
Ecosystem Response to Environmental Change
- 2014. Zhang, C, X. Li, D. Niu, S.J. Hall, C. Wan. Effects of simulated nitrogen deposition on soil respiration components and their temperature sensitivities in a semiarid grassland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 75, 113-123.
- 2011. Pardo, L.H., et al. (S.J. Hall, 14 of 22 collaborators). Effects of N deposition and empirical critical loads for nitrogen for ecoregions of the United States. Ecological Applications, DOI 10.1890/10-2341.1.
- 2011. Niu, D., S.J. Hall, H. Fu, J. Kang, Y. Qin, and J.J. Elser. Grazing exclusion alters ecosystem carbon pools in Alxa desert steppe. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research, 54(3): 127-142. DOI 10.1080/00288233.2011.576683.
- 2010. Hall, S.J. Empirical Critical Loads of Nitrogen for US Ecoregions: Tropical and subtropical humid forests. In: Assessment of Effects of N deposition and Empirical Critical Loads of Nitrogen for Ecoregions of the United States. L.H. Pardo (ed). USDA Forest Service General Technical Report, 200 pp.
- 2010. Hall, S.J. and P.J. Marchand. Effects of stand density on ecosystem properties in subalpine forests of the southern Rocky Mountains. Annals of Forest Science, 67: 102.
- 2008. Hall, S.J. and D. Lombardozzi. Short-term effects of wildfire on montane stream ecosystems in southern Colorado: 1-2 years post burn. Western North American Naturalist, 68 (4): 453-462.
- 2007. Hall, S.J. and G.P. Asner. Biological invasion alters regional nitrogen-oxide emissions from tropical rainforests. Global Change Biology 13: 2143-2160.
- 2004. Hall, S.J., G. Asner and K. Kitayama. Land use, climate, and substrate controls over soil N dynamics and N-oxide emissions in Borneo. Biogeochemistry, 70(1): 27-58.Hall, S.J. and P.A. Matson. 2003. Nutrient status of tropical rain forests influences soil N dynamics after N additions. Ecological Monographs, 73(1): 107-129.
- 2003. Hall, S.J. and P.A. Matson. Nutrient status of tropical rain forests influences soil N dynamics after N additions. Ecological Monographs, 73(1): 107-129.
- 2002. Matson, P., K. Lohse, and S.J. Hall. The globalization of nitrogen: consequences for terrestrial ecosystems. Ambio, 31(2): 113-119.
- 2002. Hall, S.J. and P.A. Matson. Environmental variables controlling trace gas emissions from forests: Acid Precipitation and Nitrogen Deposition. Pages 279-306 in H. Papen, R. Gasche, and H. Rennenberg, eds. Trace Gas Exchange in Forest Ecosystems. Fundamental and Applied Tree Physiology, Book Series, Volume 3. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands.
- 1999. Hall, S.J. and P.A. Matson. Nitrogen oxide emissions after nitrogen additions in tropical forests. Nature, 400 (6740): 152-155.
- 1993. Coyer, J.A. and S.J. Hall. Predation on small northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax) by large topsmelt (Atherinops affinis). California Fish and Game, 79(2): 82-84.